Mentorship Grant for Students and Young Researchers 2024
Bangladesh is one of the most vulnerable hotspot zones in the world for adverse impacts of climate change resulting from increased frequency and intensity of hazards including cyclones, floods, droughts, salinity intrusion, storm surges, etc. Hence it is imperative to attain resilience which is yet to be achieved through different capacity-building efforts, particularly knowledge development and innovation. From this perspective, the International Center for Climate Change and Development (ICCCAD) in collaboration with the Independent University, Bangladesh (IUB) and with the financial support of the Sweden government developed a project titled “Capacity Strengthening of multi-actors to limit climate change impacts and enhance resilience (CAP-RES)”. Under this project research proposals are requested from the early researchers and master’s students from all over Bangladesh who will receive financial and technical assistance. The award winner will be chosen based on a number of factors, including motivation, research interest, inventiveness, need for help, etc. It is expected that the initiative will enhance the quality and scope of research on the themes of LLA and L&D and also build the capacity of the early researcher.
Scope of work:
The priority thematic area for funding is (but not limited to a focus on)-
- Locally Led adaptation(LLA)
- Loss and Damage
- Climate Change adaptation and mitigation
- Pollution & Waste Management
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Renewable energy
- Climate Change Conflict
- Women and Inclusion
- Other issues related to Climate Change
- To be a current Master’s level Student or early career researchers
- Having decent academic results
- Have basic knowledge of climate change
- Working experience on climate change issues or having a strong motivation to conduct research on environmental sustainability and climate change issues
- Willing to travel home and abroad
- Must be a citizen of Bangladesh
Preference will be given:
- Candidates from outside of Dhaka
- Applicants from vulnerable and marginal areas (e.g. coastal area, Hill Tract, Haor or Barind area).
- Candidates from the fields of environmental sciences and management, geography, development studies, climate change, and disaster management
What we are offering:
- Financial and technical support for 10 candidates from different universities early researcher
- Each selected candidate will get maximum BDT: 50000.00(fifty thousand taka only) to conduct research
- The ICCCAD personnel will provide assistance with the framing of research problems, the development of methodological strategies, and the support of theoretical development, particularly with regard to the co-creation of knowledge.
- In order to get supervision on their research as well as career guidance, each fellow will be paired with an ICCCAD resource person depending on their research interests (LLA, Loss and Damage, Climate Finance, Nature-based solutions, Climate Change and Displacement, policy advocacy, etc.).
Tenure of Grant:
The grant will be for one year (January-December, 2024).
The selected applicant will submit a research/thesis report to the project team after completing the research.
The 60% fund will be disbursed in advances to awarded individuals to his/her Bank accounts (or A/C pay cheque) direct from the IUB account. The rest 40% will be disbursed after submitting the report.
How to apply:
Every applicant has to submit a research proposal within 1000 words along with the application form. To get the application form to apply please click here. The deadline for the application is June 20, 2023.
For clarification about the process, please contact Maria Aktar, Email address: email@example.com